From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of
scas660@netzero.com
Sent: February 5, 2004 7:33 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: valve job

Please help with some advice

I recently wrote in about my 86 (16v) scirocco that burst a severe oil
leak (probably the oil cooler "O" ring - I haven't pulled it apart yet
to see for sure) More importantly, I'm pretty sure that I shot the
valves because there is a fairly loud clicking noise coming from under
the head. My mechanic said that the dealer estimate on a valve job is
about $2300. He said he'd work with me and charge closer to $1500. My
question is - is it worth it? I know the head has to be sent out to a
machine shop and I wonder if the engine will ever be the same. Is this a
job I can try myself? If so how long will it take?

Thanks for any help -Steve