16v down and barely running , anyone got some advise?

Well , just as I get my custom short shift installed
and get on the highway to pick up the kid , my 16v
starts to shug and feels like its running out of gas ,
I pull off the highway and the car dies , I turn it
over and it starts only with my foot on the gas and it
sounds like its running on 1 cylinder with some smokey
exhaust , I can hear my fuel pump come on with the key
and the gas smells like fuel so it must be getting gas
, luckilly I'm a block from an auto parts so I go over
and get some plugs cap and rotor and just go for a
tune up , double check the parts and put them in , the
car starts right up but then is just sputtering , same
deal as before , so I'm back at my house and the car
is towed back , I looked thru my book for trouble
shooting , the car ran fine this morning , could this
be an ignition problem ? maybe my coil or a problem
with the distributor ? Aaron in San Jose -