[WAY OT] Was Super Bowl Rant - FW: **In Response To Your Article**

I promise not to respond anymore to the list...But I couldn't let this go.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason F. Snow [mailto:jasonfsnow@optonline.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2004 1:05 AM
To: 'bschoen@europarl.eu.int'
Subject: **In Response To Your Article**

You don't know me, but I read your article entitled

"Protecting the Purity of American Children or What Exactly is Obscene?"

I belong to an auto enthusiasts group and it was circulated while were
debating the off topic discussion of what happened during the Super Bowl
Half Time Show.

You bring up a lot of good points; however...I'd like a chance to respond to
your article point by point if I may. With the hopes that you will better
understand your American neighbors point of view on this subject.

---"One thing that struck me was that a naked female breast is considered
obscene in America while it is at the same time considered an outrage that
Muslim men view the entire female body as something indecent and don't want
it exposed in public. I'm not quite sure why the fact that a naked breast is
obscene in one culture is okay while it is considered ridiculous and a sign
of oppression if other cultures find the entire body of a women from hair to
toes obscene if viewed *naked"."---

I don't find the female breast obscene, I find it quite attractive. I don't
however want my five year old son to view a female breast until he has
matured. In America, if a woman were to walk around with their breast
exposed, it would be considered "indecent exposure" which is against the
law. The same holds true if a man flaunts his genitalia. If I want my son to
see this, I would join a nudist colony. I have no problem with Muslim men
wanting their wives and daughters to completely cover themselves. From what
I understand, this is part of the Muslim faith, and it is practiced from one
extent to the other by the individual Muslim family.

---"Or, the other way round: Why is ANY part of a female body so obscene
that it's not to be seen by children?"---

I would not want my son to view a woman's bare rear, vagina or breast until
he has matured. That's my opinion as a parent and the majority of American
parents feel this way.

---"On the other hand, it is obviously not considered obscene if American
children can watch the bombing of towns by their own people on prime time
television and actually can watch people die "live from CNN"."---

I don't let my children watch gruesome scenes like what you have describe
above. Nor would I let them watch the footage of the World Trade Center
being brought to the ground. You do remember that don't you?

---"It is not considered obscene if American children watch other children
without limbs, amidst rubble, without any relatives in Middle East or
Central Asian countries."---

Again, why expose children to this unnecessarily. I'm sure any child
psychologist American or European would agree that this could be damaging to
a child's mind to grasp the horror of what you described.

---"It is not considered obscene to watch children on TV who are
starving."---

I turn the TV off if a "Save the Children" commercial comes on and my
children are watching. Again for the same reason I mentioned above.

---"It is not considered obscene to be showered with violence on TV or to
play violent computer games."---

Parents shouldn't let the children watch violent TV shows or play violent
video games.

---"It is not considered obscene to hear about minors on death row in
certain US states."---

Here you are starting to change the subject completely. The only minors on
death row are minors who deserve to be there. Check out the DC sniper case
when you get a chance.

---"None of the above seems to be viewed as something that might deeply
disturb American children."---

All the subjects you brought up could "deeply disturb" any child. So why
expose them to it?

---"But if American children can get a glimpse of a naked breast, they are
bound to be damaged for the rest of their lives, to judge from the reactions
in America."---

You completely misunderstand the reasons and reaction Americans are having
to this.

---"European children do after birth see a lot of naked female breasts for
quite a while. Apart from that, they see a lot of naked female breasts in
films, on TV, on billboards and on public beaches while they grow up. So
seeing naked breasts is no big deal. Are European children as a result more
violent than American children? Are they more prone to become criminals for
that reason? Are they more disturbed?"---

No. The cultures are different. It doesn't make either side right or wrong.
This is the shady area of opinion.

Many European parents think on the other hand that their children might get
damaged by violence on TV or in computer games, they might get damaged
growing up in a world full of aggression and injustice, they might get
damaged in a world where the poor are left to die.

Bravo. You have made a valid point.

So right now a lot of us are somewhat bewildered:
What do American adults expect happen when a child sees a naked breast?

Nothing is going to happen. It was disrespectful for Janet Jackson to have
her breast exposed knowing that the Super Bowl is the most watched event on
television, and that children of all ages would be watching. At my house it
was almost treated like a holiday, my family was excited and we all got
together with food to see the game. This is basically the same scenario that
was taking place all over the country. A lot of parents let their children
stay up late to watch the game. Then the Half-Time show started. Puff Daddy
and Nelly were performing first and Nelly was grabbing his crouch every 3
seconds. Singing "it's getting hot in here, so take off all your clothes"
with this his female dancers ripped off most of there costumes. Then Kid
Rock came out. He was waving the flag, he's patriotic, and we are not
offended by that. Finally Justin Timbelake and Janet Jackson "performed".
They were bumping and grinding in a sexually explicit manner. By this time,
I was standing across the room from the remote and started to get the uneasy
feeling that this was not appropriate for the kids to be watching. However,
I thought "this is the Super Bowl; I mean this is a family show, maybe I'm
overreacting." It was at that point that her breast was exposed. I was
shocked and thought "nah, I must have been mistaken."

---"What kind of terrible damage are they afraid of?---"

You see, it's a matter of respect. I don't want my children seeing it, it
was always considered a family show, and my trust was violated by the
performers. Myself and a lot of other parents felt blindsided.

---"What incredible unspeakable trauma will occur which surely must outdo
everything else an American child is subjected to in his or her life?---"

There was no trauma, just complete and utter disregard of respect.

---"That they might one day find a female breast more interesting than
waving their flag maybe?"---

I always want my children to honor the American flag. A lot of lives have
been lost defending the flag and what it stands for. Keep in mind that if it
wasn't for the Americans and their silly flag, all of Europe might be
speaking German and wondering when the SS would be bashing in there door. As
far as comparing the flag to a breast, I'm afraid you're comparing apples to
melons.

Thanks for reading. I hope this sheds some light on an American's point of
view.

Jason F. Snow
New Jersey, USA