  From: Jeff Toomasson
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2004 9:07 AM
  Subject: Tightening head bolts on engine stand?

  This maybe completely obvious, but I keep thinking about it and worry that it's not going to turn out as if it were done in the engine bay.

  So - you have your cylinder head sitting on a block on a stand - that stand has _wheels_ on it.  How does one get enough torque to cinch the bolts down on a base that's nowhere near as sturdy as being installed in the car...?

  I figured I could just pin the base of the stand against the garage door threshold, but I sitll worry that I wouldn't be able to get the _exact_ right torque including the 180' turn... especially if I'm having to use one foot for leverage on the stand...

  Is it something you just need a strong friend for? Should it be tightened to the right torque and then hoisted into the engine bay and then torqued the 180'? (this method seems the _most_ plausible, but still sketchy in my mind...)

  I just don't want to get it done and then realize I f*cked it up....   :)

  Thanks, JT