First scrirocco, what to look for

Jacob wrote:
> Today my mom and brother saw a scirocco (mk2 or 16v) for $500 at a small
> corner lot. If it checks out we plan on trading our '92 ford tempo
> (thank god) for it. The blue book value for the ford is $990. Before we
> even take it to a mechanic to look over what should I look for?
> I should have more information tomarrow such as year, mileage, and ...
> what else should I find out?
> As you can tell I have very little under the hood knowledge, and I wont
> be able to tinker with any new car as it will have to be my daily driver.
>

> __________

Partly it depends a lot on where the car spent the bulk of it's life. If
in snowy/salty environs you will be wise to verify the under carriage,
esp the rear axle mounting points for rust. Another place is under the
front doors hinges, under the car that is.

Drivability will tell you a lot, does it start when cold, does it lope
(sp)?, it's very much like a sporty Rabbit/Golf I so keep that in mind
mechanically.

Having your test drive deliver you to a local (trusted) mechanic (not
the seller's) for an inspection is a wise thing to do, esp for daily
driver duties. If you could get a compression test it'd be great.

Some of us don't care too much how the motor is as long as the body is
decent, as we plan upgrades and transplants anyway. In your case you'll
want to know _is_ it a 16v after all, is the front cross member (the
body spanning under the radiator) cracked from the front motor mount
transmitting stress to it (that's not meant to be an explanation btw).

Lift up the rear carpet and check the rear shock towers, as well as the
fronts in the engine bay, and so on but if the thing drives half was
decent you'll be 'in the butter' so to speak.

And welcome.

TBerk
I don't know but HALF of everything. Others? Chime in.