alt. Light staying on

well, I am looking for suggestions to the problem with the alt. light
staying on in the dash.

>From what I understand of the system, the B+ wire from the alt. goes to the
light, it needs voltage to excite the alt. into charging. when the alt. is
not charging the power is supplied from the volt. reg on the cluster, goes
through the light down the B+ and is grounded, thus you get the light on.

When the alt. is charging the voltage is applied to b+ and you get 2
positive sources with no ground so the light goes out.

The B+ line on the G60 charger is spliced into the B+ line where the old
alt used to be on the '78.  Light never goes out.

I quickly hacked in a volt meter into the dash wiring to check the voltage
and when the car is not running 12V  when I rev it up beyond 2000 rpm  14V
when I start it and don't rev it 12V

Seems normal for a VW. Not sure why, but most vw's I have owned require you
to rev the engine over 2K before the alt. starts working.

So  know I am charging the bat, but I need the dash light to go out - and I
am not going to simply pull the bulb ;)

TIA
Cory Langford
'78 G60 MK1 - The Newest Project (and current Daily Driver)
'86 turbo project - The Next daily driver?
'65 Ghia - The next project in the garage
'79 Cheap Ass turbo daily driver - RIP