1982 Scirocco Electrical Problem

i've had several weird electrical problems in my 17
years of working on cars... most of them caused by me
in some way- most of them due to grounding problems.
in my old escort, the highbeams would sometimes turn
on, but on a reduced voltage, but the blue highbeam
indicator didn't illuminate, both turn signals
indicators in the dash would dimly illuminate, and
when i signaled, everything got dimmer and brighter.
this occured on and off, so it was difficult to
diagnose.  it turned out to be a ground that i had
forgotten to replace, near or connected to the
flash/dimmer/turnsignal stalk.  it would sometimes
make a ground, sometimes not.  without it, the current
took the shortest route to complete the circuit, not
caring about where it went first!!

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=29910/*http://celebrity.mail.yahoo.com>