OT, Jetta door latch question

> From: "Rick Kellner" <rfkellner@snet.net>
> Date: 2004/12/29 Wed AM 07:24:44 EST
> To: "'Scirocco List'" <scirocco-L@scirocco.org>
> Subject: OT, Jetta door latch question
>
> My 91 Jetta four door is experiencing exterior door handle problems and
> the cold weather has only accentuated the issue.  The door has become
> very difficult to open from the outside using the exterior handle.  The
> door opens perfectly using the interior door handle.  Obviously
> something has worn down and is not engaging/pulling.  It this typically
> an exterior handle problem or the rod connecting to the latch mechanism
> on the door jam?
> Thanks, Rick

Since I have taken so long to answer, more than likely you already have some good ones, but I will throw this out for the help of it...  ;-)

The door handles are weak in our cars, and without proper maintenance they go south.  I would recommend getting some ChemTool or similar and spray the door latch until the cleaner runs clean.  Be sure to do this from inside the door and from the outside both.  Let that dry.  Once you are done, get some chainsaw lube (why?  Its' sticky and does not move, and it lubes well) and spray that inside the lock wherever you can.  Clean and lube the door handle the same way.  Reassemble, and see if it helped...

The handles go because the mechanism binds up and puts extra stress on the handle.  Anyone replacing the door handle should do this, -especially- if it has never been lubed before.  This goes for Corrados, Passats, Jettas, Rabbits, Sciroccos, all but the A4 bodied cars, which are sealed and good about failing on their own...  :-(

Hope that helps,
  David

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson