Exhaust manifold gasket Q-which side faces which?

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 19:39:17 -0500, JOHN WORDEN <worden10@msn.com> wrote:
> This is for the 16V.  One side of each of the four gaskets is smooth metal
> and the other it the typical high temp gasket material.  I am guessing the
> smooth metal faces the aluminum(better mating surface), but I could be
> wrong.  Any thoughts?

I don't know about the 16v, but for the 8v you HAVE to put half of
them one way (at least on the gasket's I've tried), so I would say it
doesn't matter...  Can you place them all one way?  I suppose since
there's no intake manifold to snake around you might be able to, but
I'm just an 8v caveman...

Mark.
75
80 S