Camping out in the Rocco was: Outstanding vid

TBerk, the bottom poster wrote:
> I was actually thinking about the Roc's ability to go camping actually.
> It is kind of a light weight car and will float over some terrain than
> heavier cars get bogged down in, can haul a fair amount, you can sleep
> inside if you want, and if you have a break down most parts are like a
> VW Rabbit to get you home.

I've been camping in my Scirocco quite a number of times. A Scirocco will
carry two passengers nicely and easily hold enough gear for two as well.
However, sleeping two is nearly impossible. I can sleep in it, but I have to
stretch out into the passengers seat. Being 6'-4" tall and 225 pounds I
require a little more space then most. I've probably slept in my new
Scirocco ~10 times since I got it in September.

-Marc

'87 VW Scirocco 16v
'84 VW GTI Bunny Truck

Yeah, it really is a drag because the front seats _do_ recline, but you
are left with a strange position.

The best way I have found is to have the front seat rocked forward, the
rear seat lowered and stretch out in back as much as possible.

What makes this feasible is to lay a futon type mattress pad or bed roll
over the whole shebang.

It might be closed cell foam, or in a pinch a folded up Moving Van Quilt
or two. Haven't yet tried an air mattress though.

The main reason for this is the uncomfortable Non-Flat arrangement of
the lowered rear seat back.

Also, you are ow in your storage area, so if you have brought along a
bunch of stuff it is no residing in the foot wells or somewhere. Moving
a lot of stuff around prior to bedding down is a drag.

TBerk