From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of Rick Kellner
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 7:41 PM
To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: OT: Jetta Steering Rack Question

The daily driver, a 1990 1.8L 8v with power steering, seemed to be
pulling to the left a little lately.  I brought it in to the local tire
place for an alignment and a tire check.  They aligned the car and it
was still pulling.  They said that the rack and pinion needs to be
replaced.  This is only a tire place so they are not looking to do the
work.  He said he could hear air or water moving around in there when he
moved the rack during the alignment.  Not it the power steering fluid,
in the rack.
Have you ever heard of this?  Is there a procedure to check the rack and
pinion?  How much of a PIA is it to replace?  Adirondack has the rack
for about $180.  Thanks, Rick.