JH timing and the Bosch starter

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 09:37:08 -0500, "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>
wrote:

>It sure sounds like the ignition is pretty advanced while cranking and is causing kickback.
>But, I would think 6 deg BTDC wouldn't be enough to cause that.
>So, I'm wondering how your vacuum advance/retard is set up?

Retard line (manifold vacuum) runs directly to the retard port on the
distributor.  Advance line from the carb runs through a coolant temp
delay switch on the hose between the block and coolant reservoir.

>The advance is getting ported vacuum? And the throttle plate is adjusted correctly so there isn't
>any vacuum advance at idle?

Yes and yes. You can pull the advance line when the engine is cold off
the distributor and there is no vacuum coming through.

> Vacuum lines all hooked up per Bentley?

Those are the only two lines except the big one to the brake booster.

>Just throwing some thoughts out since it sounds like alot more advance during cranking than with the
>engine idling and the vacuum advance/retard seems like the only thing that might effect that.

Sounds like it, but the only change I have made was resetting the
basic timing and there is no knocking or pinging under hard
acceleration.

The other obvious possibility is that the starter motor is a weak
dog.. possibly worn brushes to the point it lacks power enough to do
the job.  That's the one that takes $$$ to prove correct so I'm trying
to eliminate the rest.

Gordon
75 Scirocco/Drake 1.9 8V
http://pws.prserv.net/scirocco/scirocco.htm