From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org]On Behalf Of Matt Gregory
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 2004 6:02 PM
To: Scirocco List
Subject: NEW wheel cylinders leaking

Ok, I've replaced my wheel cylinders in my '86 8v with new ones from
Autozone or somewhere local and all seemed fine. That is, until today
I noticed some wetness dripping down the inside of the tire and rim.
So I get under there with a flashlight and sure enough ... nice bright
blue brake fluid drips forming on the low part of the drum backing
plate on both sides.

I can't say it surprises me because the parts I got from my LAPS just
didn't feel like very high quality parts. The pistons didn't feel
like they were sealed all that well. Has anyone else run into this
problem? I can't imagine how I could have messed up the install. The
line ends were clean and they threaded into the cylinders well, so I
don't think there are any issues there. I haven't taken them all
apart again yet to see exactly where it's leaking but I'm 99.9%
certain that i'll find fluid coming from the boots.

Any advice? Order better quality parts from Adirondack or dealer?

Thanks,

matt.

Matt,
I have seen NEW wheel cylinders for Type 1s that where the piston rattled
in the housing. Pity Don did not realize this until he had them together
applying pressure. He doused the shoes with it! (*^*^$&^(*^(^(*&%!
Cylinders can really be crap... I won't make any compromises, I will buy
factory new, or 'factory aftermarket' (in other words, the -right- brand,
FAG, Lucas, etc) on brakes. No money should be saved here, not at the cost
of my peace of mind, or my life. Don normally does not make that sort of
concession either, but we all have our weak (or cheap) moments... :) You
might check with the Potters, or the ones already mentioned. That is what I
would do if I were you...

David