[SPAM] 6 gear 020 and misc. bs

Bryan Rankin wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
>    I've been putting in some crazy hours at the Safeway lately...I'm
> still in grade 12,

Hahhaah, we _like_ them young & tender. MuHahahahahah. <gleefully rubs
hands together>

<snip>

> The one night off I had this week I got my ass in
> gear and got the 1.7 out of the scirocco.  Gotta start cleaning stuff up
> in there, is there any product that would help me out here?  maybe some
> simple green?

Simple Green will do the trick, although remember- it's going to strip
everything off the paint, including wax. So be sure to rinse and rewax
the firewall after you clean it.

> I did complete CV axles last winter, and there is some cv
> grease against the firewall.   I've got an update on my 3a engine down
> in Edmonton.  The tdi crank has been made to fit in there, now it's
> gonna get ground up.

"Made to fit..."  Hmmm, just how big a hammer did they use?  :])

> I've been reading around about 6 speed 020's.  I heard this vince guy
> kind of screwed some people around, and that he no longer has VLE
> anymore.  I heard kraftswerk doesn't make them anymore?

DonnTinkSo, as far as I remember Vince sold off the last remaining kits
for self assembly and isn't making any more. OTOH he might have thoughts
of resurrecting a new improved version but don't hold your breath.

> Is there anyone that does?  I have two plans for the 3a scirocco.
> Autocrossing, and a 6500 mile round trip to Boston, Waterfest, and Nova
> Scotia.   I realize I will probably never make it past 3rd gear in
> autocross, but I'd like a close set of gears with something nice for
> cruising too.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bryan
> Fort McMurray, AB
> 81 Volkswagen Scirocco

Howdy, Howdy from Sunny California. It got to the high Thirties in some
areas here last night.... <http://www.sfgate.com/weather>  Brrrrr.

I think you can do a good trans by adding a taller 5th to a close ratio
5 speed. Say a .75 or .80. With enough low end grunt you shouldn't be
lugging the motor during cruising, but you will likely want to drop to
4th for passing maneuvers of course.

Welcome to the list,
TBerk