mk1 tachometer getting wacky

I finally get my 75 mk1 running reliably and suddenly it's winter!  Oh well
it's a good time to do a paint job.  Anyhow, does anyone know how to fix a
tachometer in a 75 mk1 that frequently bounces or jumps?  It was very intermittent
for along time, but has recently become quite distracting.  Since I'm asking
for advice I'll throw this in, when I changed my transmission from a 4spd to
5spd, I have tried 3 different speedo cable ends but cannot get my speedo
accurate.  Thanks for any help. Michael