Hurricane Damage?

Ok listers.

As I live just two blocks off the harbor in Charleston, SC this last weekend
was filled with excitement.  Since we had no power up until a couple of
hours ago I spent most of Sunday sitting with not much to do other than
watch the pond that was once the yard my children played in get deeper and
deeper.

Last night I spent a couple hours in the rain putting the rocc back together
from previous ventures that left it immobilized. I got it ready to go and
took a drive around the block and all was well. A little later I took my
daughter and her friend home just a couple of blocks away. All was well
until I punched the gas exiting the neighborhood and life got REAL bad very
quick.(This is a 16V 2.0L) I lost all power, the lights went dead, and there
was a popping noise from the fuse panel area... Then there was the smell of
smoke. The car died.  I restarted, dropped off the friend and made it back
home. Each time I hit the gas the whole scenario would repeat. I got home,
shut it down and verified that I did not have a current fire in the car.
Later I went out and peaked around and found a wire that the sheathing was
bubbled up and melted away. It was a brown wire (ground) attached the top
circle of grounds that was at the top right position.

Questions, Can I replace just that ground at the end where it is burned?
Will the fuse panel just dry out and everything be ok? What other possible
items burned or was it taken out on the ground?  Is the car drivable or do I
need to find time in this weeks busy, busy schedule to get this fixed before
I rescue the car from next weeks tropical adventures that appear to be of
emanate danger from our area?

TIA,

Dave

David L. Winchell, II