Horrible running 8v

> From: "Scourge" <scourge@cogeco.ca>
> Date: 2004/08/26 Thu PM 11:37:42 EDT
> To: "Rocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>,
> 	"Jason Peters" <nefarious@drumatix.net>
> Subject: Re: Horrible running 8v
>
> Hey, welcome to the list!
> My guess would be that the car is running too lean. So when you unplug the
> O2 sensor, the car defaults and runs super rich(in your case that's just
> enough fuel for it to run properly).
> The fix *should* be an easy one.
> Run the car long enough to get it up to a normal operating temp. Then check
> out your throttle body, there's a little switch on the top that will be
> actuated when the throttle is fully open.......Push It(hahah name the
> movie!!). If the idle improves there is a good chance the rest of this will
> help. On your fuel distributor(big thing on the drivers side with the
> airboot and fuel lines) in between the intake boot and the fuel lines, there
> is a small hole* just grab a LONG 3mm allen key and stick it in. Turn it
> clockwise and it will richen the mixture(more fuel) counter clockwise will
> lean it out(less fuel). With the car idling play around with it a bit. You
> shouldn't need to turn it more then a half or three quarter turn. Once you
> get the car to idle a bit better play around with that and the idle
> screw(back of the throttle body, 7mm socket or wrench) to get a good
> balance.
> After all of this, if you notice bad fuel mileage, lean it out a bit. If the
> oil temp increases significantly richen it a bit, you're too lean.
> I recommend having a shop with a sniffer tune the car at some point so you
> have a base line to go from. Playing with it in your driveway is kind of
> trial and error.
> *if there is no hole, there will be a small plug you may have to drill out,
> mine have all had the hole by the time I got them
>
> Good Luck and HTH
>     -George
> Check it out I answered a tech question!!!!!! Now pat me on the back and
> tell me what I screwed up. lol

I think you have written up a very nice explanation of what is involved...I might like to make one addition to it, however...  If you need to turn it more than 1/4 turn, I would definately take it to a shop to get the mixutre set...  Someone before you has jacked with it so much that you would be better off letting someone who understands the FI play with it (My Opinion)...  I would recommend very small adjustments at first, to see what changes there are, and after each adjustment, rev it to 3K.  This allows the adjustment screw to settle, and therefore give you a realistic baseline of what it needs to do...  Write me directly if I am loosing you at all...

HTH

David

---Chrome don't get you home.---