The article:An Advert? Or one of us....

  My Life, My Volkswagen GTI
As told to DANA WHITE

Published: August 27, 2004

HO Dylan Commeret, 27, model and bookkeeper, Chicago

WHAT 1998 Volkswagen GTI VR6

There are people who buy a car mainly for the driving experience, and there
are people who buy a car for what other people think about it. I'm in the
first camp. I care more about performance than status. My GTI may look
unassuming, but appearances can be deceiving — there's a lot of power under
the hood, and it has a smoother ride than many cars twice its price. You
have to ride in the car to appreciate what it can do. This makes it a great
way to screen potential girlfriends: if a woman doesn't get my car, she
won't get me.

The GTI is a sporty, more powerful version of the Golf. It's heavy for its
size — it's like a little tank — and it's a blast to drive. It's also an
insider thing. I'll see another owner on the highway or filling up at the
pump, and he'll give me a knowing nod, like we're in this little club. We
know the car has amazing handling and pickup, that it's built to be driven
fast. You put a 2.8-liter V-6 in a tiny car like this, and it really moves.
Chicago is the Land of 10,000 Stop Signs, and you can't accelerate much
between them. But it's not about driving fast all the time. I'm not one of
those racing guys. It's just nice to have the power when you need it; it
makes you feel secure.

I've always thought the Golf was a nice car, so when I got the chance to buy
one, I jumped on it. Two years ago I moved to Chicago for a couple of months
because I needed a break from New York City. In Manhattan you can take the
subway to jobs, but I'd heard that in Chicago you have to drive, so I knew I
needed a car. I was at my mom's house in Boston when I saw this GTI with a
for-sale sign on it across the street. I was considering buying a 1998 BMW 3
Series at the time, but the GTI blew it out of the water. It had more power,
better reflexes, and more response and pickup. The owner was asking $12,000,
but I paid cash and got it for 11. By the end of the day it was mine.

Two days later I drove it to Chicago. The car was wonderful, and the cop who
pulled me over in Ohio for doing 82 in a 55 was kind enough to let me go.

Modeling is all about the surface, so people assume that a male model would
have a fancy car — when in fact 80 percent of models don't make enough money
to afford one. After returning to New York City, I went on a date with
another model. When she got in the car, I asked her, "Do you like it? I just
got it." She looked around for a second and said, sort of flippantly, "It's
a car." For a second I thought, I should have bought an S.U.V. Then I came
to my senses. I tried to convince her of the car's performance virtues, but
she didn't have a clue. I never saw her again.

I've found that a woman's attitude about cars is emblematic of her attitude
toward pretty much everything. If she judges me by how expensive my car is,
she's not worth my time. If she says, "Wow, this is a really smooth, really
nice ride," I know she's someone I could spend time with. My dream woman
would like the fact that I'm passionate about my car, but she'd love the
fact that there are far more important things in my life. And like my GTI,
she should be low-maintenance.

About a year ago, I sold everything that wouldn't fit in the back of my car
and moved to Chicago for good. (Another nice feature about the car is its
roominess.) It's nice to know the car is paid off because I have a mortgage
now. Getting paid for the way you look is shallow, but it's lucrative, and
I've done pretty well. I've modeled for Abercrombie & Fitch, Sunglass Hut,
and Ralph Lauren's Chaps clothing. I've also had a bit part in the movie
"Zoolander" and appeared in a national TV commercial for Playtex tampons (I
was the boyfriend).

But modeling is not my life's ambition. I've always had a numbers kind of
head, so now I do the books at a talent agency and model on the side for
accounts like Kohl's in Milwaukee and Anheuser-Busch in St. Louis. It gets
me out of the office and on the road, where I can open it up a bit. I also
have a lot of relatives and friends in the Midwest, from Michigan's Upper
Peninsula to Bloomington, Ill., so every weekend I visit somebody. I don't
have my dream girl yet, but I have my dream driving experience: cruising
down the highway with XM Cafe on satellite radio and the moon roof open. I
could drive like that forever.