Horrible running 8v

Hey, welcome to the list!
My guess would be that the car is running too lean. So when you unplug the
O2 sensor, the car defaults and runs super rich(in your case that's just
enough fuel for it to run properly).
The fix *should* be an easy one.
Run the car long enough to get it up to a normal operating temp. Then check
out your throttle body, there's a little switch on the top that will be
actuated when the throttle is fully open.......Push It(hahah name the
movie!!). If the idle improves there is a good chance the rest of this will
help. On your fuel distributor(big thing on the drivers side with the
airboot and fuel lines) in between the intake boot and the fuel lines, there
is a small hole* just grab a LONG 3mm allen key and stick it in. Turn it
clockwise and it will richen the mixture(more fuel) counter clockwise will
lean it out(less fuel). With the car idling play around with it a bit. You
shouldn't need to turn it more then a half or three quarter turn. Once you
get the car to idle a bit better play around with that and the idle
screw(back of the throttle body, 7mm socket or wrench) to get a good
balance.
After all of this, if you notice bad fuel mileage, lean it out a bit. If the
oil temp increases significantly richen it a bit, you're too lean.
I recommend having a shop with a sniffer tune the car at some point so you
have a base line to go from. Playing with it in your driveway is kind of
trial and error.
*if there is no hole, there will be a small plug you may have to drill out,
mine have all had the hole by the time I got them

Good Luck and HTH
    -George
Check it out I answered a tech question!!!!!! Now pat me on the back and
tell me what I screwed up. lol