reverse issue with an 8v tranny

When you *can* get it into reverse, how does it behave?  Any new noises etc?

Your description leads me to belive that there's a problem in the linkage, including the forks
inside the tranny.  It's not a classic 020 gearbox failure mode.

When shifting by hand at the tranny, are you sure you're trying to get reverse?  It's push
inwards, pull towards driver's fender.  Sorry if you know this, but we have to be sure...

Ron