Motor Mounts, what order to put them on in

Calimus wrote:

> Ok, have a bit of time to get started on this.  So, what the best order to
> remove and install them in on a 16v?
>
> I've already gotten the fuel injection out of the way along with the
> battery.  The car is up on jack stands and I have a nice 2ton jack along
> with a 2ton engine hoist.  I replaced the rear mount about two months ago so
> it's still good but I know I'll need to take it loose.  I've only done
> mounts once, but the engine was out of the car so this is pretty new to me.
> I'm looking for the best way to tackle this so if someone could shoot me an
> ordered way of doing things, I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> I also have a 12ton press, so I should have everything I need to do the job.
> Thanks everyone.
>
> William Snyder

There rally isn't an ORDER as such.

Here is some (hopefully) helpful hints along those lines;

- The rear is easy, loosen and replace.

- The front is also easy, but keep in mind what year you have makes a
difference fastener wise. Some cars use a Hex bolt, some a an Allen,
some even mix in a Torx. Also the front bolts also hold the Starter on
so keep that in mind.

- The Timing belt side is the hardest to get at. It might help the
support the motor from over head and with the front and at least that
side loose drop the motor a bit to get at one or two of the bracket
retaining bolts. Also, this bracket is behind some sheet metal tin.

- The Gear Box side isn't hard but there may be clearance issues on 5
speeds. This is another place where supporting the motor and dropping
one side can ease the long bolt out. Also there may be ground straps
in this area, a good time to watch out for them, recondition them, and
even replace them with nice new clean & shiny big ol fat ones.

As for the 12 ton press, is that enough? I thought you might need a
Twenty Tonner to get it done. But on that I forget.

Anywho, I'm watching the Women run Track & the Diving Events so....

TBerk