[wtb] steering linkage (and question)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 15:13:41 -0400 "Foxx (in a box)"
<foxxinabox@wideopenwest.com> writes:
>    i replaced the power steering rack in my '86 with a manual one.
> problem i ran into is that the linkage piece between the column and
> the
> rack is too short. i am in deperate need of this part to get my car
> back
> on the road. does anyone have one for a reasonable price?
>    also, as i look though the etka, i notice that the racks for the
> mki
> jettas and mkii sciroccos are the same, both power and manual.
> additionally, the steering columns are the same part number. even
> for
> the power rack, the linkage piece is the same part number. any idea
> on
> why the manual steering linkage is a different part number? is my
> assumption that with the same rack and the same column the distance
> is
> the same wrong? i could accept this if it were not for the fact that
> the
> power linkage is the same. any help would be appreciated. my dad'd
> 1.7l
> carb'd rabbit is getting me around but i'd like my scirocco back
> asap.
> thanx.

I dunno, but the part is different for a Scirocco. I don't know why. I
happen to be doing this to my 16V shortly.

It is weird, I figured the Rabbit linkage would work, but I luckily ended
up getting a Scirocco one from a fellow lister.

531 419 951 B for the Scirocco vs 171 419 951 C for the Wabbit.

Mash
1987 Scirocco 16V, 1982 Scirocco, 1981 Scirocco (was an S), 1978 Scirocco
www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm