(OT still VW) those damdable spring clamps

There is a photo of a tool somewhere (on Vortex?). It is basically a
regular old muffler clamp (heavy duty), but, picture this, starting with
just the "U" shaped piece, put the nuts on and then slide the "sheetmetal"
part "upside down" or (ie, backwards). then put the "tool" between the ends
of the "C" clamp and  turn the nuts the way you would to get them off the
"U"shaped piece.  Thus, the nuts are being used to increase the distance
between the "base" of the "U" and the sheetmetal piece.  I have a photo
(somewhere) that I can email if that will help. I have not used this tool,
and as you probably know, the "C" clamps are very strong and springy and if
they should happen to "fly" they can easily result in serious injury. (It
would be nice if the base of the "U" had a reverse curve so that one end of
the "C " clamp would fit in the curve for a more positive positioning.

Chris

Oh, TT has the real tool for about $85. Not cheap, but not as bad as $130.