MkI brake light switch

I don't know about MK1s, but here is my '83 MK2 setup after going to the 16V
MC. No provision for a pressure switch on the 16V.

I grabbed a brake pedal switch from a mid '80s Audi 5000 at the bone yard
(2$). Grab the connector too and as much of the wiring as you can, two wires
(yellow?).

This just about fits in a ready made hole on the brake bracket for a
mechanical setup. You need to enlarge the hole a very small amount, or
machine threads for the switch, just as they are mounted on the 5000s. I
chose to enlarge the hole and get a nut.

Now cut the pressure switch wires at the MC and fish the wiring back into
the car. On the '83 they are the same color coding, so it was just a matter
of soldering/heat shrink them, and you have brake lights again.

Cheers.

Marc
'83 Scirocco
'97 A4