From: <SequoiaGLX@twcny.rr.com>
To: "Kevin S" <optimus234@hotmail.com>
Cc: <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 11, 2004 2:03 PM
Subject: Re: MK3 tranny 020 are they stronger??

If you're talking about the VR6/TDI/1.8T 02A,02J and 02M boxes, yes, they're built a little stronger
than the 020, but they definitely still have their problems.  People found out starting with Corrado
SLC's how crappy the second and third gear syncros are in 02A's.

These boxes supposedly do not have the problem as much as 020's with the gear oil level getting low
and 5th burning up (02M's are the 6 speed, dual pinion shaft boxes, a really unique design).

I know that some people have complained about stripping the teeth right off of third gear, but these
guys are running slicks on forced induction VR6's that are making serious power for the strip.  For
any other application, the 02A/J/M boxes should be plenty strong.

They're a few pounds heavier but I think they're shorter.

I'm sure you have to fab up mounts.  They're hydraulic clutch and cable shift in the US but kits are
available from Europe for some sort of VW variant that used the 02A/J/M with a cable clutch.  It
takes a little work but it's possible.

A3 cars with the 2.0l N/A four cylinder (engine code ABA, etc) still used a variant of the familiar
020 gearbox.

John K. Gates
--
'97 Jetta GLX - daily driver
'85 Scirocco Flash Silver, waiting for my new house/shop for a complete