Komposit Short Shift - Hard into first

David Utley wrote:

>>From: "Camron D. Crouse" <camron@worldaccessnet.com>
>>Date: 2004/08/09 Mon PM 09:20:05 EDT
>>To: Scirocco List <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
>>Subject: Kompsit Short Shift - Hard into first
>>
>>Anybody have any experience with the Komposit Short Shift kit for A1?
>>This week I have developed a problem with going into first, and am
>>wondering where to look first.  Sometimes it goes into 1st just fine,
>>but about half the time in won't go without excessive force and/or
>>multiple tries.  I know very little about short shift kits (installed by
>>PO) and am not sure if it has components that wear out like the stock
>>components, and if so, are they compatible?
>>
>>OTOH, could my manual clutch cable require adjustment?
>>
>>No problems going into 2-4 at all.
>>
>>TIA!
>>
>>- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
>>   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L
>>

>That sounds like an adjustment problem to me.  I don't know the specific name for the part, but you know the one that you can remove from the shaft that points in the direction of travel?  This part that you can remove has a collar on it that you would fasten to the 'direction of travel' link with a bolt.  This same link has teeth inside it to allow it to bite and hold.  Anyways, I think the angle of this piece is wrong.  I don't know which way it needs to be moved, but I think it is off....
>
>HTH
>
>David

Thanks David, I think you have hit the nail on the head.  I spent a great deal of time under the car last night trying to figure out my linkage.  This collar and splined shaft that you are referring to is what I determined to be the problem; it was a tad sloppy, so I tightened the nut at the collar.  Seems to have done the trick, though I have yet to road test the adjustment.