Kompsit Short Shift - Hard into first

Anybody have any experience with the Komposit Short Shift kit for A1?
This week I have developed a problem with going into first, and am
wondering where to look first.  Sometimes it goes into 1st just fine,
but about half the time in won't go without excessive force and/or
multiple tries.  I know very little about short shift kits (installed by
PO) and am not sure if it has components that wear out like the stock
components, and if so, are they compatible?

OTOH, could my manual clutch cable require adjustment?

No problems going into 2-4 at all.

TIA!

- Camron from Vancouver, WA USA
   '86.5 Black 16V 2.0L