WAS: 16V Oiling (not), NOW: Dell computers...

Let me give you some background so you know where I'm coming from.

A lister, Eric S. had to send his laptop in for repair and never saw it again. Much later, he did get a new one, but not without a lot of difficulty.

A woman I work with had a harddrive die on her, so she sent it in and they replaced it after TONS of runarounds on the phone and then over a month of waiting. Shortly after, the harddrive dies again (she uses her laptop pretty much as a desktop, so it doesn't get dropped/abused). This time, she sends it back to Dell, after having it for 3 weeks they say it's a software issue and everything seems fine. She took it to a tech here in town, yep it's the harddrive. She ended up buying a new harddrive instead of going through the hassle again. She did try though, for 4hrs. Basically it went, explain problem, get transferred, hold, repeat.

There's 3 or 4 more instances I can think of off the top of my head, but you get the idea. They used to be THE company for computers, great prices, supreme quality and better customer service than most any company.

Sony Viaos were the best for laptop computers for awhile and still are awesome computers, but I haven't really been around them lately. IBM Thinkpads are very expensive comparably, but they truely are the businessman's computer. Not flashy, light, amazingly durable and they do what you need them too, without the 17" screen and useless gizmos.

Hope that helps,
Dan

David Utley <fahrvegnugen@cox.net> wrote:

Hmmm, I should not be shocked by this, but I am. Are they really that bad? I was considering getting one... And don't somebody tell me that I could put one together, blah, blah, blah.... I will buy an apple before I do that... Don't get me started on the richest man in N.A....

Anyone else confirm Dells' state of being?

Thanks Dan,
David

---Chrome don't get you home.---