16v: how do i keep oil from flooding the distributor?

> From: "Dan Bubb" <jdbubb@ix.netcom.com>

> > Sorry Dan,
> >   But you do not want to go head to head with me on this one...  Working here, I see it, each and
> > every bloody day...  Persist at your peril...  :-)
>

> The fact that they do fail doesn't mean they are designed to do so! If you design for failure it's
> guaranteed that is what you'll get. If you design for reliability you don't always achieve it.

Okay.  Every factory water pump I have seen has a plastic impeller.  As far as I can figure, there are only two reasons why you would do this, and they are inter-related.  One is cost, the other is cost.  These two factors together, greatly affect longevity.  We are presently seeing 1.8T water pumps fail, often.  The 2.0 was a more common problem until recently.  The 1.8Ts seem to fail because of the shape of the impeller, there are forces that want to pull it off the shaft.  But back to the point- why in the hell would you put plastic in a high heat area?  You KNOW it would HAVE to fail at a higher rate than the steel impellers.  BTW, the factory manufacturers make steel impellers, but those are aftermarket (WTF?)...

> You have heard of  J.D. Power??
> No car company wants a crappy reputation and designing for failure is a sure fire way to get one!

Why Dan, yes I have.  I am glad you mention that.  You have heard that VW is not doing very well right now, right?  Well, it is because VW is plagued by designs (and build quality) that are inferior for the length of time the owner expects the car to work without problems.  Sometime in '94 (IIRC), a former upper muckity-muck from GM went to work for VW (GM tried to sue, stating they had an argeement that he would not go to work for a major competitor, I think it failed).  Again, IIRC his name is Joe Lopez?  Anyways, he always pushed cost, cost, cost.  Joe did get the prices of the parts cheaper, but now they cannot make the damn things last.  VW did this in an effort to become more proftiable, which it did, like gang-busters (98 on through 01).  Ever since then, their market has gone up and down, until now, which is in the dumpsters.  VW is laying folks off world wide.  But I digress majorly again, sorry.  You ever heard of planned-obsolesence?  It breaks, buy a part to fix it, or buy another car...  VW has a crappy reputation right now, because they build certain key parts (window regulators, mass air flow sensors, engine temperature senders, light bulb sockets, door lock actuators, water outlets, and New Beetle radios) that do not hold out for any time at all...

  I don't think Engineers intend on doing anything that they are not asked to do.  Cost is the bad guy (and the VW GMs in this case).  Please do not take this as a personal attack on engineers, as that is not the intention.  They design what they are asked to design, inexpensive crap!

Cheers,
  David

PS--  I wrote this up once before, and got logged off.  Let me know if you get this, anyone!

---Chrome don't get you home.---