how do i keep oil from flooding the distributor?

i know that bad seals cause oil to get into the dist.
it'll continually happen to any dist if the problem
isnt fixed, which is to prevent the oil from going
there in the first place.

i've attemped to reseal a dist but failed. ive also
read that re-sealing a dist is iffy at best. some
report good results, others not.