Exhaust system rattles

Wow, you guys are awesome!  New hangers sounds easy.

I think you're both right.  In addition to the hard metallic sounds coming
from the muffler area (likely axle beam), muted thumping from the handbrake area
is intermittantly audible.  When I looked under the car, I noticed the
resonator is leaving a mark in the soft aluminum heat shield in that area.  Hard to
say if it's new or not.

The new downpipe has a mostly rigid joint at the manifold.  If the primary
motion is up as the engine rotates forward, would putting the OEM flex joint
back in help solve this problem?

Grant

> It is rattling on the rear axle beam. Get new rubber mounts and be done
> with it.

actually, it sounds like his exhaust is sitting too high back there, hitting
the fuel tank heat shield. the reason i say this is that its hitting while
coasting, where the engine torques forward, which causes the exhaust to
pivot upward. also, if his hangers arent vertical, there is less vertical
space per given hanger, which would also make the exhaust sit high.
Al