From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of T Berk
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2004 2:03 AM
Cc: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Re: 12 Point triple-square drive bit for axle flange

Jeff Toomasson wrote:

>>Are the 12 point triple-square bolts that hold on the axle drive
flange 8mm
>>or 10mm?  I know the head bolts are 12mm so that bit won't be of help.

>>Thanks, Rick.
>>_________

 > That would be 8mm...
 >
 > JT

I concur.

I am given to understand out of the four pack of common sizes the 10 mm
is used to remove certain vw 'HUBCAPS'.

One thing that has helped me is to:

- Get a bunch of long 3/8" extensions.

- Get a deep socket 1/2" er socket. Gaf tape the 8 mm driver to it as a
semi permanent install. This will make sense after you get started.

- Use a screw driver in the vented part of the brake disk to prevent the

axle from rotating. It holds up against the brake caliper. If
non-vented, you can vice grip the thing or a helper can hold the
tire/rim/wheel package while you work from under the car.

- Be sure to spray some brake cleaner into the socket heads of the CV
joints fasteners. Be sure to tap the 8mm firmly into the heads before
you go torquing on stuff, else you strip the damn things.

- Use a 3/8" drive breaker bar, not your ratchet, to break the hold
those fasteners have. The ratchet can come into play right after you
'snap' the things loose.

hth,
TBerk