From: scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org
[mailto:scirocco-l-bounces@scirocco.org] On Behalf Of dswalterwi
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 8:08 PM
To: 'Ron Pieper'; Scirocco-l@scirocco.org
Subject: Battery Relocated but hard starting and running rough.

Ron,
I took the fuse and holder out completely direct wired to the battery at
the rear of the car.  I thought that had solved my problem.  The car
starts and runs but the battery seems to degrade over a couple days till
the car won't start.  No warning lights and the volt meter shows
charging reading of about 13 volts (somewhere between 12 and 14 volts).
I went back to the Monolith battery (650 CCA, 900 CCA peak) thinking the
small Stinger didn't have enough juice but the problem is worse.

I am suspecting one of two things; one I have a bad ground which is hard
to believe because the whole frame is acting as a ground as I am bolted
to the seat post sanded 2 ft of 4 gauge cable.  Two the 4 gauge line
that I am running to the front is dropping too much voltage.  With the
car off I can measure 12.94 voltages everywhere.  With the car running I
get about 13.9 at the battery.  So I'm suspecting I should have went
with 0/1 gauge.  Tomorrow I am going to try running a heavier gauge line
outside of the car from the battery positive to the front.  I have
connectors that will except up to 0 gauge wire.  I suppose welding cable
would be the cheapest and most flexible if that is what I decide to go
with.  I'm currently using expensive 20ft of 4 gauge fine strand Stinger
cable designed for audio.  If that doesn't help then I'm going to put
the battery up near the front so I can jump the ground directly to the
distribution block for the grounds. I am trying to isolate whether it is
a grounding problem or loss of voltage.  Any thoughts?

Don