Critical juncture in ABA rebuild - frozen crank (WTF?)

> I encountered this while rebuilding the 1.8 in the 86, I bet you the crank
> bearings are not all the same. Take them apart and check the sizes..

If it were the crank bearings, wouldn't it have problems spinning even without
the pistons connected?

> I had ordered from JC Whitney (I know I know had to try..never again) a OEM
> STD set of main bearings, and it turned out in the wrap (not a mix up on my
> part, half (so 4 out of 8 bearings) where .25" size.

All bearings and rings were new in standard sizes from Potter and passed
Plastigauge prior to installation.

> Your saying that with piston 1 and 4 in it was fine then check the piston
> bearins 2-3.

will do

> The cranks/;pistons should trun just fine no need for a 2x4 to turn the
> crank.... 19mm ratchet with all 4 pistons on there turns the crank with
> pistons just fine... If it is "hard" to turn, your bitting in metal.

The 2x4 was to ensure the crank _wouldn't_ turn when I attempted to torque down
the crank sprocket bolt...

Thanks, Jeff