Light Bulbs - Wattage vs Kelvin Temperature

Kelvin is used in photography and is referred to as "colour temperature". It
essentially can be thought of as white hot vs red hot, with white being
hotter, ie, the higher Kelvin rating. So a day with an overcast sky has a
"Kelvin temperature" of about 7000K (because the light is quite blue), vs a
40 Watt general service lightbulb with a Kelvin temperature of 2650K. I'd
guess the stock weak pathetic headlights to be somewhere in the
yellow-orange range...maybe around a 200K/5Watts....

So if you want really blue/white light, a higher Kelvin rating is what you
want. Want the cops to leave you alone? I'd go for the lower Kelvin rating.
Wattage would be as per normal bulbs I'd say, with higher wattage drawing
more power and being brighter. They are also hotter, not a concern so much
for us with our glass lenses, but on cars like my bug with the expensive
plastic housings and lenses, I'm using stock wattage. I don't need to melt
anything.

Also, I'm of the OPINION (not verified by any research, mind you) that since
stock wattage bulbs will sometimes heat up and cook our old wiring/switches
with their not so perfact (read high resistance) connections, that going
above that on stock wiring is asking for trouble. I'm firmly in the "relay
them" camp, if for no other reason than you replace a lot of the bad crusty
connections with fresh stuff. And the relays give you more options to beef
up the wattage without frying the dash switch. That switch isn't getting any
younger.

Got relays? Pick your brand/colour/blinding capabilites, and go for it. I'm
sporting quite the mish mash myself. A relayed mish mash, mind you.
Cathy