Light Bulbs - Wattage vs Kelvin Temperature

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Don Walter wrote:

> Okay I am very confused about light bulbs.  I don't understand all
> these statistics. There are Xenon, Halogen, HID. There is 55/65 watts,
> 80/100 watts, 100/120watts.  Some even claim to put out 80/120 while
> only consuming 55/65watts.  Now there is Kelvin temperature 4000K,
> 5200K and 6000K.  Euro Dezign claims to have the brightest 6000K
> Krypton Xenon bulbs but they only are 55/65 watts.  They only cost
> $25.00 for the pair.  How do tese compare to the expensi ve PIAA's?
> I heard good reports from Sylvania's new XtremeWhite.  Ahhhhh who am I
> to believe?  Help me !

The pat answer is: nobody.  I prefer Sylvania's Cool Blue for color
temperature, with no perceived loss of output compared to their other real
high-output halogen (XtraVision, I think it's called.)  Relaying is
reported to help, as are e-code upgrades.

'spensive PIAA, EuroDezigns, etc. lights are pretty much a sham.  The
latter company can't even spell "designs", so..

Scirocco headlights seem to be pretty much OK.  Especially compared to
period Audis, which often have utterly terrible aerodynamic DOT lenses.

Daniel Stern Lighting has a series of good articles on this topic.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/superwhite/superwhite.html

ian Butler / ian@bluemoon.hplx.net
'88 Audi 5000S quattro
'88 VW Scirocco 16v