Sad News

As some of you know, Jeff Toomasoon had sold his 500th California Edition
Scirocco to me. I owned the car since Thursday, April 15.

On Thursday, April 22, this magnificent Scirocco left us. When driving on
Hwy1 from class to home, I smelled smoke in the car. I glanced in the back
and saw a small amount of smoke coming through the back seat and trunk area.
I immediately turned off the car and all components I could find. When I
came to a stop, a puff of brown smoke drifted pass my door. I got out and
started inspecting the back. I was horrified to discover that the rear
fender was on FIRE. I frantically tried to kick the panel off of the car
(destroying my shoe in the process). When I could not put out the fire, I
started waving for help with one hand and grabbed for my cell phone with the
other. I could also see that the fire had spread to the entire back half of
the car and was engulfing the gas tank. Knowing that there was not a damn
thing I could do, I ran to safety. By this time, I could hear the tires
blowing and saw the windows shatter one by one. Two people had stopped and
were on the phone with 911 operators. Unfortunately, it took less than a
minuet for the car to be completely engulfed in flames.

What also saddens me is I will never know what caused the fire. The most
probable cause that I could come up with is the car is 21 years old (next
month). I am hypothesizing that the fuel lines leading from the transfer
pump to the main fuel pump had hardened, became brittle, cracked, and
started leaking fuel. This fuel collected, ran across the tank and other
body parts. The gas or fumes were probably ignited by the exhaust. Not even
Moster Garage or Junkyard Wars could destroy the car this well. About the
only thing I would be able to salvage is the left rear turn signal housing.
No joke, that was the only part not damaged.

On a more positive note, no one was hurt and I very thankful for that. We
can only hope and prey the remaining Sciroccos do not meet a similar fate.

-Craig
"Nightmare" '88 16v (PG-T Proj.)
"Calypso" '91 Golf GL (Daily Driver)