weird rocco happenings

the ever famous 16v dizzy.
carry a spare.
Brian

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, Allyn wrote:

> ok, so im on the way back from kill bill 2 (most excellent, btw).
>
> take 26 home, and put the rieger into a 1.1g drift along the exit ramp
> (right bank).
> i bask in the sounds of sliding kumho and occasional per-clunks of loose
> objects finding their way to the driver side of the beast.
> end of ramp, no power, absolutely none. no warning lights (still in gear,
> engine still turning). as i am slowing, i figure i caught some water in the
> fuel suction, but this is unlikely (right turn, not left, and i am at 3/4
> tank, and i took care of that water problem weeks ago).
> i coast further, figuring whatever it is will pass. i keep the gas planted.
> still nothing.
> hit clutch and let it die. cycle key. start. cranks right up.
> drive 2 blocks to turn right into neighborhood. hit clutch as i slow for the
> turn. engine dies. i notice the sound of a relay clicking a couple of times
> as i cycle the clutch to try and roll-start. my guess is it was the fuel
> pump relay responding to ignition pulses (an expected action).
> roll-start successful as i accelerate out of the turn.
> go couple more blocks, slow for left turn, engine dies again. roll start out
> of turn - again successful.
> carefully make last turn to house street. this time i stay on the gas and
> keep it in gear. no issues, but the engine doesnt 'feel' as happy as it
> usually is.
> i carefully keep the gas on as i drop into neutral and e-brake to a stop in
> the driveway. once stationary, i slowly let off gas to see what the deal is.
> idle slows to a very slow crawl. its a stumbly idle. firing on all
> cylinders, no missing at all, but its a slower idle (~600), and its stumbly
> because of it.
> pop hood, everything looks good. do the obligatory check of the idle speed
> set screw - right where i left it. wiggle various connectors, no effect. do
> quick cursory checks for vacuum leaks - nothing. plug wires look good. no
> leaks anywhere. wife comes out to see whats up. i chat while doing further
> inspecting. finally i end up grabbing the throttle body and give it a couple
> of good blips. after the revs, engine returns to a perfect purring idle. i
> mess with it more, but cannot get it to return to its crappy idle.
>
> notes:
> - first time it died, i believe i had tach indication, and i believe the
> fuel pump was running, yet engine did not return to running condition
> depsite coasting at 4k rpm with ignition still on. despite this, it started
> just fine after the engine was allowed to stop.
> - cause is likely linked to what made the idle crappy, but that doesnt make
> sense.
> - it appears the fault is causing the low idle speed, and its also causing
> undershoot of idle if returning from revs, resulting in engine stall.
>
> ideas?
>
> thx in advance for pondering / suggestions
> [...]

Brian
88 16v $2004 GRM challenge car http://www.grmotorsports.com
84 0v Next years car? mid engine... maybe we'll see
82 0v Black 16v kit --parts
82 2.0L Topless bunny -- Knock Ignition and bigger clutch. next.
90 90q20v doing daily driver duty.
91 VFR750F everybody needs a 11-12 sec vehicle.

Contact method. Email me for AIM, ICQ, YahooIM, IRC, etc.