Brake pads again... shouldn't this be easier?

My rear brake pads were tight to go into the pad carrier... I had to use some force to pop them in place.  The old ones weren't so tight, and could slide in the pad carrier.
So is this just a characteristic of new pads, or do I need to shave them so they'll slide along the carrier?  My logic tells me they would need to slide inside the carrier for the brakes to be able to release properly.  Right now if I squeeze the pads against the disc, then spin the disc I can hear the pads rubbing - i.e. they aren't being deflected (released) because they're too tight in the carrier.
Boo on brakes. ;)
PS. - thanks for the last bit of info Allyn.