Brake pad carrier torque spec question

The Bentley lists the torque specs of the bolt that holds the rear brake pad carrier to the caliper as 26 ft/lb.  But whenever I tighten it, the carrier doesn't want to slide on the guide pins as it should.  I noticed the guide pins are keyed (two flat sides on an otherwise round pin), but when I was testing they were able to spin freely inside the pad carrier holes.  So am I missing out on something?  I don't have a caliper wrench to hold the guide pin in place, so I've been using needlenose pliers wedged in there.  Could that be my shortcoming and/or is the pin really keyed for a purpose?
Thanks guys!...