Detonation wuz Things not to wear when welding

--- C Boyko <roccit_53@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Modern piston planes
> >still have twin spark, and it is kept around as part of
> a redundant spark
> >system that is supposed to save your butt if one magneto
> system fails.
> >While it will do that, that was not it's original
> purpose.  Personally, I
> >don't think its worth keeping because I've never heard
> of someone no
> >warning of electrical trouble (batt. light) long before
> their engine dies
> >from lack of electricity, but then I'm not the FAA.

Actually, the magneto is a self contained system not
requiring any outside electricity to run.  To shut it down,
you ground it out.  (So if you have a broken ground wire,
the ignition system is "hot.")  The magneto generates its
own spark - note the many planes with no electrical system.

=====
Daun Yeagley - Wilmington Ohio
'81 S, '85, '86 & '88 Sciroccos, '96 Passat GLX Wagon, '56 Cessna 172
For Sale: '82 Scirocco.
"My rabbit has a human foot on his keychain.  That's not the scary part.  What I wanna know is what those keys are for." - The Four Postmen