Need some tranny rebuild ?'s addressed (Help Ron??)

----- Original Message -----
From: "stetson" <tim@unrealexpectations.ath.cx>
To: "scirocco list" <scirocco-l@scirocco.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2004 12:28 PM
Subject: Need some tranny rebuild ?'s addressed (Help Ron??)

> Not to say that he is the only one that can help but it seems that he is
> "the guy" to bother about tranny related issues. If anyone else has
> this type of specifics PLEASE chime in!
>
> K then.....the 9A is busted to the point where it can be busted no further
> w/o pulling needle bearings (2) w/ a I.D. puller and the S3 shim and
> tapered roller bearing race, and here comes the area where you all cringe.
>
> The questions are:
>
> 1.) So I REALLY need to worry about changing out the S3 shim and the
> roller bearing race? Is there a less specialty tool intensive (Re: the
> VW294b/3 - VW387 - VW385/17 measuring tool combo) way to check the S3 shim
> suitability? I see the shim thicknesses range from 0.65mm to 1.40mm.

I presume you are replacing the pinion shaft bearings? If not just reassemble. If you are then the
two easiest ways to remove the bearing race pressed into the bell housing side of the case are:
1. Put it face down in an oven and heat it to 400 degrees.
2. Make a special fitting for a slide hammer by heating, forming and grinding one of the regular
"claws".

The third way (that I did once in 1982 and will never stoop to again) is to take the case and pinion
shaft to the dealer and have them set it up.

Were you interested in the Dan Bubb special technique for measuring bearing clearance?

> 2.) Those pesky needle bearings! They have gone throught the rigorous
> cleanliness regime that the case has (being that they have not been
> removed from said case). The spin nice and non-crackley and there seems to
> be little to no sideplay to them. I know that I SHOULD replace them but
> was wondering if I can cheapass it yet again and skip the replacement and
> just lightly grease the beejeezus out of them and reuse.

I think that one time I've got really anal and replaced the needle bearings. Generally they're fine,
so unless you can see pitting on the needles I'd leave them.

> 3.) This one IS sorta Ron specific. It seems that he rebuilt a 9A for
> Patrick and used chromoly synchros in the rebuild. Anyone no where these
> bad boys may be acquired?

I've seen brass rings and coated brass rings (generally used on 2nd gear since it gets worked the
hardest). Wouldn't a steel ring on a steel gear wear the gear surface which you wouldn't want? Yeah,
I'd like to know more about this.

> 4.) Pressing out the selector shaft I was able to crack one side of the
> top of the shift finger where the clevis pin goes through. The crack is
> tiny but does admit light through it. New shift finger time or no?

I'm not really positive what you're talking about here, but if it's the part I think it is it should
be replaced.

> 5.) Anybody have ANY idea what a turning torque of 0.5 to 1.4Nm (50 to
> 150Ncm or 4.5 13 in lb.) or .3 Nm (30Ncm or 2.7 in. lb.) feels like??????

Roughly, you should be able to grab the shaft with your hand and rotate it. It shouldn't turn
easily, but also it shouldn't test your grip ;^)