Things not to wear when welding

Entirely different situation. When tossing lighters, it works by the top metal part breaking and sparking, causing the fluid to both pour out and light. It's about the same as pouring lighter fluid on the ground and lighting it. Remember lighters are pressurized and when you put a small piece of glowing hot metal into them, then they can explode. Think of it this way. Imagine shoving a red hot nail into a can of hairspray. Kablooey! Take a hairspray can and break the top off so the gas can freely escape and light it on fire. Not much happens besides a firely blaze.

Dan

chris gonzalez <chris24g@yahoo.com> wrote:
I call BS on that myth. I used to explode plastic lighters when I was a kid by throwing them at the ground. Just a big flame out, like when you pour lighter fluid on a BBQ. Absolutely no concussive force. You could definitely get burned, but doubt you'd get killed. Let's call Mythbusters....

John Klun wrote:Dan and y'all:

The story below is quite true. In 1966 when the first BIC plastic
lighters came out, lots of sailors bought them because they were cheaper
than Zippos. A Naval Safety Bulletin was issued to the entire Navy in
late 1967 early 1968 forbidding any one who was welding from keeping the
plastic lighters in their breast pocket. The Bulletin referred to an
accident that occurred to a sailor who was welding ashore. (At that
time, the welding 'leathers' were more like butchers aprons- covered
most of the body but did leave the breast pockets unprotected.) A spark
from the sailor's welding torch struck his breast pocket, burned through
to the lighter and it caused the lighter to explode. The bulleting
referred to the resulting explosion as equivalent to the explosive force
of a stick of dynamite resulting in the sailor's death. I do know that
on our ship, any sailor assigned to welding and repair had to be
'inspected' by his leading P.O. or his Division Officer before being let
loose with a welding torch....