(WTB: 3a from Audi 80) - Now ABA vs. 3A

Comments within...

Quoting Mark <mardak@cogeco.ca>:

> Don't forget there are a zillion times more ABAs running around out
> there than 3As.  Does the ABA's rings have more problems per "X" number
> of units than the 3A, or is it just that you're seeing more problems
> with ABAs because there's a lot more out there...

Perhaps...  This would be interesting to see...

> I wouldn't doubt that the same manufacturer makes rings for all VW/Audi
> engines (mass produced ones anyways)...  Are the ABA rings manufactured
> in Mexico?

I doubt that...  They are more than likely sourced locally, but I do not know
how to go about finding that out...

> The reason I ask is because I've NEVER heard that the ABA bottom end is
> anything less than bulletproof.  I just don't want to see someone go
> through considerable expense rebuilding a 3A rather than simply swapping
> in a low mileage ABA on that piece of unsubstantiated advice...

What?  What is 'unsubstantiated advice'?  Let me break it down further...
What is advice?  It is the best way to proceed with X, 'according to the
respondents' experience...  This is my experience, I have found the ABAs to
be 'soft'.  So, how can -that- be unsubstantiated?  For clarification, this is
my experience here at the dealership, and with tuning 'dubs around here...

I also
> just got off the phone with a friend who's the service manager at my
> local Volkswagen dealership, and he said there's ABSOLUTELY no "issue"
> with ring problems on the ABA...  Take that for what it's worth I guess,
> but before you start spreading misinformation you should back up your
> advice with some numbers...  As an "insider" could you get some info on
> how many ring failures these two engines have per 1000 units?

As I said, this has been my experience...  Just because I work here at a
dealership, I don't think you should automatically take my word for gold.  I
can only communicate what I have learned/experienced, and so far, I stand by
both.

As for spreading mis-information, that really hurts me Mark...  Why in the
f*ck would I spread mis-info?  Because I work at a dealership, do I therefore
have to offer a failure-rate from the facroty before my advice is pertient?  I
don't get it...  Please tell me where I mis-understood your intent, as I hope
that is the case...

David