I've been too quiet. Now the 9A deconstruction.

You have probably been breathing a sigh of relief due to the absence of my
at least daily noise, but all good things must come to an end.

The 3A is in the machine shop (thanks for all the ABA brow beating BTW
;^} ) and I now have no engine work I can do in the meantime, so what to
do?

I've been filling my daily frustration need by tearing apart a 9A tranny
and I've only screwed up badly once so far.

I pulled the "DO NOT PULL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES" shift finger support
rod while not noticing that I did not have the selector in neutral, ergo I
had to drive out selector shaft through the arm end (why is it that both
the bentley AND ETKA DO NOT list or show the clevis pin that holds on the
shift finger? Shearded that fine appliance right through!)

Ron's cheapass tranny rebuild page IS INVALUABLE!!!! I used the penny
trick, cursed myself for NOT getting REALLY good circlip pliers and trying
to make my own from customized HF big snap ring pliers (lasted a whole 3
circlips), and not to remove the mainshaft ball bearing (too late, did it
anyway....Duuurrrr). But it's IS an invaluable reference.

I'm now to the point of getting to the diff to drill it out (although all
rivets look good from this side ATM) and install the bolt kit. I've
noticed a little marking on all of the gears and think most of them are
gear differentiation marks but will have pictures later to submit for list
appraisal to see if any are substancial wear marks.

Pics can be viewed at:

http://unrealexpectations.ath.cx/9A/index.html

like always.
These are just pretty much before and after pictures of a cleaned case w/
some minor deconstruction. The shift linkage rod stopped me in my tracks
for a couple of days, but finally fell victim to a HF gear puller (it
broke the 6" one) and a BFG and no parts seem the worse for wear for it.

Gear pictures are not yet posted as the tranny case was JUST finally
completely split last night. Then the homemade circlip pliers failed and
I'm about 3 gears from the diff. I'm trying to get ahold of my local Snap
On tools vendor to score some for this evening, but failing that (or if he
has none in stock), I'll be doing parts wash and ordering them online
tonight.

Lo, though I walk through the valley of 020, I will fear no circlip!

Tim

Soitainly.  I was assuming that came with the OO-ness of it.
             -- Larry Wall in <199710011802.LAA21692@wall.org>