WTB: 3a from Audi 80

Hey Mr.

I have JUST been down this road! The 3A block is in the shop right now to
get checked for tolerences.

It took me 3 mo. to find one.

Look for 4 cyl. 80's and 90's (you probably already know this) and TELL NO
ONE if you find one.

I know of 2 sources right now. Patrick said a friend of his that was
interested in a 3A project but went another way and had one (I was never
able to find out if he wanted to sell it or not) and there is the one I
was going to buy from Michigan until I found mine in a local boneyard for
much less.
It had 100K+ mi. on it and was EXPENSIVE (even though I was going to pay
it) at $395 for long block Maybe it'll be less for short block). Email me
direct if you want this guy's email. This guy had distributor AND knock
sensor harness to sell too but the cost was just under $500 w/o
shipping!!!

While I'm on the subject, why you need short block only? You going to run
w/o a knock sensor/distributor setup? Everything I've seen says you get
marginal gains for that and true performance is found w/ the knock
sensor harness and electronics.
Just a heads up.

If you DO go knock sensor route, get the 3A distributor as then you don't
need a cheater for a 8v/16v(knock sensor) VW distributor.

GAK motorsports sells the breather block off plate and so does Peter at
www.scirocco.com, but GAK sells them that are already milled to accept the
fuel sending unit in it's stock place. Peter's are much cheaper but not
milled that way.

That's as much as I know right now but when the block gets back from the
machine shop I'll be able to give you a bit of a map as to the gotchas
that can happen as I'll (hopefully) be putting mine in before yours.

Now......need to know anything about 9A tranny gotchas?  ;^}

HTH,

Tim

Life.  Don't talk to me about life.
- Marvin the Paranoid Anroid