  From: Stefan P
  To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org
  Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2004 6:01 AM
  Subject: question on tires and ride once again(long)

  A while ago I asked  a question about why my car vibrated really badly at
  higher speeds. I had 17 inch rims. The replies I got where to get hubcentric
  rings. but before I do that I would like to bring up another issue. How long
  are the tires supposed to last on a scirocco (17 inch rims, Falken brand
  name, 205/40z R17 84W M+S) Excuse me if that info is usless I have very
  little knowledge on tires but i coppied that right of the side wall. I was
  toalled to rotate them every 5000 miles. So heres the story. I get the new
  tires ride quality is smooth, 5000 miles comes around they look a little
  warn and i rotate them. As soon as i start driving the difference is
  noticeable, the car shakes and vibrates at 45mph. I take it to the shop.
  They look at it and tell me the tires are chopping. ( the alignment is
  perfect and camber is as close to perfect as it can be, i know this cause i
  had to have those specially fixed on that car). so they balance the tires
  again and it seems to ride a little better. as i keep driving the vibrations
  start to stop at the lower speeds but stay at the higher speeds any where
  from 55 - 70 mph (i dont usually go over 70). So now my next tire rotation
  is coming up and I notice that im drving on slicks in the front as in there
  is hardly and tread. The back looks a little better but not by much. SO all
  in all a set of 4 tires lasts me 10000 miles. I drive very conservatively as
  in no pealing out no burnouts in the parking lots no flying of the line at
  lights ect. The Falken tires are yes some of the cheaper brand but im afraid
  to go out and by the good years or firestone for 600 bucks if they will only
  last me 10000 miles. Aslo I know that having a good suspension plays in the
  role of tire wear, my struts in the front are new I got them right when I
  got the tires. The car is lowered. The previous owner did not say with what
  brand all he said is that it has a lowering kit put on it. The back
  suspension I have not done anything with but it seems really firm. I think I
  covered everything that you would need to know if not just tell me. Thanx in
  advance to any one that will help me.
  Stefan