Deer Vs. Taurus

On 31 Mar 2004, at 13:44, John C. Worden wrote:

> Damn, a lot of times at higher speeds they flip right up over the car.
> Moose are the ones you have to watch out for- there are a few people
> killed up here every year.  They hit the (very tall) moose, and when
> the
> moose falls, it falls into the passenger compartment crushing it(and
> usually)
> the passengers.

If you're really worried about this hazard - buy a Saab. Antelope
strike is the number one cause of accidents in Sweden, and these cars
are specifically designed to deal with that exact source of trouble.
Front fender takes out the legs, torso comes crashing straight on
through the passenger compartment. This can happen with smaller beasts
too, who instinctively bound when startled. Solution: seriously beefed
up A pillars

Highlands of Scotland we have this problem with red deer. Have had a
few friends who have come unstuck hitting them (all survived with no
lasting damage, the drivers that is - not the deer, half of them ended
up in a deep freeze). I myself have been about 6 inches off of hitting
a 12 pointer red deer stag at 80mph in the wet, I swerved - he reared -
just missed - scared the living shit out of me, and probably him too.
Was in a Volvo at the time but at that speed and hitting that heavy a
target... doesn't bare thinking about...

Look for the reflection of their eyes out in the periphery - night time
is the danger time (with red deer anyway). Look for natural places they
might want to cross, and take those deer hazard warning signs seriously
(we have them in Scotland, assume you guys put them up too)

Stay safe

Aaron in London