A couple of suspension ?'s

First - I realize this is probably a dumb one, but I need to double-check anyway. I have a pair of front strut housings from a '76. Are they exactly the same as later A1 housings? I'm getting to the point where I think I need to have a spare set of shocks around - gonna most likely go with those Gabriel VST's for that application. Getting the front housings done in advance seems like a good idea...

Second - is there a way to identify aftermarket springs by coil and thickness characteristics?  I have a set that I think are Neuspeed Sports but they're covered in crap and I won't really be able to clean them off until I can get them off the car and the last time I look when they were off the car, I couldn't really tell...

thanks and hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

JT