Bushing

That goes on the main shift rod.  I fyou look under there, you should
see that the main shift rod itself (connect from the shifter in the car
to to goose neck shift selector) passes through a bracket where a
bushing is supposed to be.

Now the bushing you showed, while it does work decently, is the bushing
for an A2 main shoft rod.  There really isn't anything wrong with it,
and it's a much cheaper salution.  However, if you want the right part,
I know the Potters (http://www.parts4vws.com) carry the part even though
it's not listed on the site.  Just ask for a A1 main shift rod bushing
w/bracket.  It's about $27 but comes with the proper bushing pressed
into the brackets and all lubed up.

William